Monday, November 23, 2009

#9 Chat and Instant Messaging

Several years ago, my teenage daughter set up an IM account on our home computer. She was worlds ahead of me in a way, because I had not seen or heard of IMing. However, she was still in the learning stage, because the way she had set it up, any time anyone turned on the computer, her IMing screen popped right up! Of course, I took advantage of the opportunity to play with the technology and IMed some of her friends. I was honest and identified myself and had fun as well as time to learn about the technology.

This said, it makes me think that when we use this feature at our schools, we really need to train students to know how the technology works, privacy issues, etc.

Currently, we do have the chat feature available on our school email. I spend a lot of time communicating with my staff via email and love the chat feature, because it is so quick.

I will be watching to see how libraries are using this technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment